Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Assignment 2: Create an ad

Imaginary Restaurant Business



Old Nick's Kitchen is a product of my imagination and love for spicy foods. Being an Indonesian, it can be said that affinity for peppers and spicy dishes is wired in me. The idea behind this "restaurant" is that every dish would have some kind of pepper in it, including desserts and drinks, with heavy Cajun and Creole influence. Its main target customers are ones who are really into spicy foods. Hence, the slogan "go hot or go home". 

I chose a devil as a symbol to make the correlation between heat and hell ("the dishes are hot as hell"). Hence, the name Old Nick's Kitchen. The focus on peppers and spiciness is emphasized by the cauldron formed by warped texts (heat, inferno, pain, pepper, spicy, piquant, hot, zesty). The bubbling bright red liquid with peppers floating around in it further emphasizes the focus.

The devil is wearing a yellow Mardi Gras-y bead necklace with peppers hanging from it to complete its look. It's placed in the middle of the frame because I wanted it to be the center attention. I chose this particular background because it reminds me of brown paper bag and it lends a nice texture to the overall look. I want the customers to know right away that Old Nick's Kitchen is a casual, fun and unpretentious restaurant. I chose New Orleans as the location because the city is known for delicious spicy dishes and because it's a city steeped in rich history and mysteries. And it justifies why the devil is wearing a Mardi Gras inspired bead necklace. 

The devil image, the fire and log images are downloaded. I just deepened the devil's red a little, changed its eye colors and brighten the liquid's red color. The elements that I created are the cauldron, the necklace, the peppers and the texts. The fonts are called Grim Ghost Bold and Grim Ghost Outline. I imposed the bold over the outline to sort of create a '3D effect'. This ad is seemingly simple but actually has a lot of small details upon a closer look. The ad is also very centered in the sense that every element is weighted at the center. 



No comments:

Post a Comment